Tuesday 27 October 2015

How to spot a fake Louis Vuitton Speedy Monogram Bag



In this “How to spot a fake..” review I will explain how you can spot the difference between a counterfeit and an authentic Louis Vuitton Speedy Monogram bag. 

If you want to be sure that the designer item you own or want to buy is authentic, please continue reading. I can help you authenticate your designer bag. In my opinion it’s better to be safe than sorry!


Basic Information -
The Louis Vuitton Speedy bag is first launched in 1930 and is one of the most known and counterfeit bag of the Louis Vuitton collection. The Louis Vuitton Speedy bag comes in five sizes: 25, 30, 35, 40, 45. The sizes correspond to the cm in width.

Monogram Toile Canvas Print -
The Monogram Toile canvas is been launched in 1896 and was based on the trend of Japanese and Oriental designs in the late Victorian era. Below you will find some basic rules that apply to most Louis Vuitton Monogram products:
The V of the LV logo should be slightly above the L without touching the __ of the letter “L”. If  I’m really honest I have to say that most replica Louis Vuitton Monogram products have a very good looking LV. However, they almost all go wrong on the colour of the Monogram print and the colour of the hardware!
An authentic Louis Vuitton product should have an even pattern that is well matched and proportionate! The asymmetrical pattern (for example from left upper corner to right down corner) of an authentic Louis Vuitton Monogram pattern should be: a LV logo, a quatrefoil flower, a flower in a circle, again a quatrefoil flower and again a LV logo. This pattern should repeat until you reach a stitch on the opposite side.
  
The Monogram pattern on the left and right side of the zipper should also have a symmetrical (!) mirror image. This is the easiest way to spot a fake Louis Vuitton Monogram bag.
Louis Vuitton takes pride in it’s LV logo and therefor it will not be cut off in the corners. However, there are some authentic (vintage) models that have a cut off LV logo. But this is very rare and certainly not the rule!
The Speedy bag is made of one continuous piece of leather that wraps around from the front to back with NO seam on the bottom. Therefor the LV logo on the opposite side of the bag will be upside down. NOTE: this does not apply to some vintage Louis Vuitton Speedy bags!







Stitching -
The stitching on an authentic Louis Vuitton product is placed with care and that should show! The stitches should be need and even. On the leather tag, where the handles are attached to, you will find 5 stitches going across. It doesn’t matter which size the Louis Vuitton Speedy bag is! Please note that some vintage Louis Vuitton Speedy bags DON’T have 5 stitches on the tab! 
Although most good replica’s have 5 stitches on the handles, the stitches are often sloppy and/or don’t have the right colour. An authentic Louis Vuitton bag should have mustard yellow stitches and not bright yellow as you can see on the picture below of the fake Louis Vuitton Speedy Monogram bag.



Handles -
The handles of an authentic Louis Vuitton Speedy bag are made from Vachetta leather (untreated cowhide leather) which will tan naturally as the bag ages. This process is called “Patina”. Even if you don’t use the bag the handles will get Patina! The inside of the handles of an authentic Louis Vuitton Speedy bag should have a dark burgundy red trim, which also will darken in time. However, most replica Louis Vuitton bags have a more lipstick red trim that doesn’t darken in time. Please note that some replica Louis Vuitton bags now have a patina look(!) to make the bags look more real! 
Heat Stamp on Leather Tab -
On one side of an authentic Louis Vuitton Speedy bag you should find a leather tab with a “R” in a circle “Louis Vuitton Paris” “Made in..” heat stamp.
Louis Vuitton uses a really specific font. The “O” is very round and the upper half circle of the letter “S” must be smaller than the bottom half circle. Please not that this only applies to the heat stamps and NOT to the embossing on the hardware!
The stitching on the leather tab is often a major give always. Fake Louis Vuitton Speedy bags often have a short V stitching on the leather tab. However, the V stitching on an authentic Louis Vuitton Speedy bag should almost touch the “R” in the circle.
The size of the Louis Vuitton Speedy bag (25, 30, 35, 40, 45) is stamped on the back side of the leather tab. Most replica Speedy bags don’t have that and if they do, the size is not stamped but just painted on. Also pay close attention to structure of the back of the tab. As you can see the structure of the tab of the fake Louis Vuitton Speedy bag is very different than of the authentic one. Please note that some vintage Louis Vuitton Speedy bags DON’T have the bag size stamped on the back side of the leather tab! 
Hardware -
The hardware of authentic Louis Vuitton bags is often made of brass metal (an alloy composed of copper and zinc), Due to oxidation the brass metal will in time darken into a browns colour and will show a greenish glow around the corners. On the picture below of the authentic Louis Vuitton Speedy bag you can see how brass metal after oxidation will look.
Most replica’s use a gold colour metal base, which will not darker in time. Unfortunately the quality of the hardware can be hard to see on a picture. Especially when the bags is quite new. However, almost all replica Louis Vuitton bags have a to bright gold colour hardware. The colour of the hardware can really help you to determine if a Louis Vuitton bag is authentic or not.
Authentic Louis Vuitton hardware studs, even the small once, have “Louis Vuitton” embossed. The embossing should be detailed and fine. Fake embossing tend to be thick. Also please pay close attention to the letter “0” of the embossing of the hardware. In comparison to the way it’s heat stamped(!) the letter “0” on the hardware is much more oval. “0” instead of “O”. Please note that some vintage Louis Vuitton Speedy bags DON’T have “Louis Vuitton” embossed on the studs! 
Lining -
Authentic Louis Vuitton Speedy bags should have a honey brown cotton canvas lining and an even stitched inner pocket. The canvas lining should be one with the outside. You shouldn't be able to pull them apart. The inside of the inner pocket should have a platinic feel. Please note that some vintage Louis Vuitton Speedy bags DON’T have that!
Louis Vuitton Date Code -  
IF a Louis Vuitton Speedy bag has a date code, you should be able to locate it behind the inner pocket on the backside of the handle on a leather tag. NOTE: if a Louis Vuitton product doesn’t have a date code it doesn’t automatically mean it’s fake! 
The leather tag should be a bit oval with a braced hardware closure. The words “Louis Vuitton” are embossed on the hardware. As you can see on the picture below, the fake leather tag is to long, to light, the hardware is to bright of a yellow and the letters and digits of the date code are stamped to close together. Also the colour of the canvas lining is dark brown and not honey brown.
If the Louis Vuitton item is manufactured prior to 1980 it shouldn't have a date code, because Louis Vuitton started using date codes in the early ’80.
The first Louis Vuitton date codes from the early ’80 have 3 or 4 digits, representing the month and year the product is manufactured. In the late ’80 Louis Vuitton added two letters after the 3 or 4 digits, which represent the location (“Made in” stamp) where the product was manufactured.
In the early ’90 Louis Vuitton changed it again and placed the two letters before the 4 digits (no 3) and gave the digits an other meaning. The FIRST and THIRD digit represent the month and the SECOND and FOURTH digit represent the year the product is manufactured. This formula applies to all Louis Vuitton products manufactured from the early ’90 till late 2006.
The current meaning (started in the year 2007) of the Louis Vuitton date codes is yet again a bit different. The first two letters still represent the location where the product is manufactured. However, the FIRST and THRID digit now represent the week and the SECOND and FOURTH digit represent the year a Louis Vuitton product is manufactured.

For example if you come across the date code SP 1907 you now will now know that the Louis Vuitton product is “Made in France” in October of 1997. Or if you for example come across the date code FA 1029, you now will know that the Louis Vuitton product was “Made in Italy” in the 12th week of 2009. Please note that most good replica Louis Vuitton products have a date code and that having or not having a date code unfortunately doesn’t mean anything!
If the Louis Vuitton product has a date code, please make sure that the “Made in” embossing matches the letters in the date code! However, some bags have contradicting date codes because they were repaired abroad. Louis Vuitton never repeats date codes but adds a new one after repairmen.
Packaging and wrapping -
1) Authentic Louis Vuitton bags NEVER have plastic wrapped around the handles. Designer bags that come with a plastic wrapping around the handles are often fake.
2) Authentic Louis Vuitton bags do come with tags, but they are simply placed in the inner pocket of the bag or in the dust bag and NEVER attached to the bag itself with plastic or pins.
3) Authentic Louis Vuitton bags do NOT come with a plastic (yellow) authenticity card!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my “How to spot a fake Louis Vuitton Monogram Speedy bag” review! If you have any questions please feel free to comment below. 

48 comments:

  1. what are the chances of a date code being opposite the interior pocket vs behind it? I found a bag that I am about 90% sure is real, but the location of the date code isn't consistent with what I have been seeing. Have you seen this before? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my blog and blog post. I can honestly say that yes not always will the location be the same because some style of LV bags have them in different places. I would say you will find a date code on the bag stamped either on interior tags or directly on the interior linings. Hope this helped and feel free to ask any other questions :) X

      Delete
  2. Hi I read your blog to get some assurance that the bag I have is authentic. Everything seems to be exactly how you describe Louis Vuitton bags to be my only concern is the Date code also I don't know if it seems to close together or it's good the way it is. Also it has the size stamped on behind the leather tab but I don't know if it's painted or stamped. Is there any way you've came acceso with the date codes being close but still end up being an authentic bag??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I can tell you personally I haven't really came across the date code on an LV bag to be close together as authentic unless the date code is from an older bag. I am happy to help you with anything else you need and if you want you can send me a picture over :). I hope this has helped x

      Delete
  3. That will be great where can I send them too I need to figure if this is authentic or just fake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can email me on nkrysa828@hotmail.com or simply fill out the form in the contact me section :)

      Delete
  4. hi nina thank you for ur reply on my queries earlier! It helps a lot - Amira

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your more then welcome :) If anything else need feel free to message me xx

      Delete
    2. Hi Nina I just bought a pre loved speedy 30 from 2014 (made in France) and It doesn’t have the size number stamped underneath the leather tab also there is no platinic inside the inner pocket at all, are they making the new ones like that? Thank you.

      Delete
    3. That's a good question to ask and I am more then happy to help you 😊. I have owned many speedy's and not all of them had the size stamped on the tab however the mijority of them should do!! Sometimes they can be very hard to spot depending on the angle you are looking from or fade due to length of time bag owned. As stated in the post they should have a platinic inside the inner pocket however again most of the vintage range wouldn't l. I hope this has helped anymore questions feel free to ask 🙂

      Delete
    4. Hi Nina do all vintage Louis Vuitton have pockets in the interior. Mine have the letters but no pocket. Does that automatically mean it is a fake

      Delete
    5. I should add it is a Speedy 35

      Delete
    6. Hey, sorry for the late reply I have only just seen your message. I can tell you that mostly likely it is fake from what you have said because every bag I know of has a pocket inside. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions feel free to ask x

      Delete
  5. Hi Nina,

    I purchased a pre-loved Speedy 25. It has a bit of a stale smell. Is there any safe way to clean the bag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for your question. I am more then happy to help with your question and answer your question I say never clean the bag with water on any of the leather parts of the bag as that will make it worse.

      I would try get a bit of white vinegar and distilled water together. Sponge the bag with the solution (only on the inside). Then wipe off the vinegar solution with a clean, damp cloth and let it air dry by place the bag outside under shelter away from direct light to air dry as this will ruin the bag more. I hope this helps and if you do try this let me know the out come and I will see if there is another way I can then help (if needed) xx

      Delete
  6. Hi! I just bought a preloved speedy 30 said it’s bought in Japan, everything is the same from what you’ve said but I noticed 3 differences like the serial; it only has 1 Letter whis is ‘M’ and follwed by 5 digits but stated made in France. Then the stitchin, it has 5 stitches on the tab but the stitching got doubled on the top part of each tab. The stitches on the tab is kinda yellow but not that bright then on the handle it’s mustard. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please send me the photos of the bag to nkrysa828@hotmail.com and I can then have a closer look at what you are talking about and help you out better. Thanks x

      Delete
    2. Same with my mom's bag. So this is real or fake? Thank you :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Nina, I bought pre loved speedy 30 from Japan, and all of what you said in authentic is likely on my speedy 30, but I noticed and feel the leather is a little bit stiff and rough, do you think it is fake? And may I know what means or my date code is, AA 5007, I really appreciate you for helping me, thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a Palm spring MM from ebay i got it from a seller in japan. Now the LV on top of the bag (2 of them) is cut. Is it ok? Like this can happend? Or did i got scammed :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no I wouldn’t worry to much as I have my bf with the LV in fabric cut off in some places too. Any other questions feel free to ask?x

      Delete
  9. Hi Nina, I bought a 30 vintage monogram speedy, it said the code V.I.0911, which means made in France Jan 1991.
    Is the date code wording is right? Because I read your article, the code without dots

    Also in the leather tab, the hot stamp only shows LOUIS VUITTON without wording MADE IN XXX underneath. Is this real or fake? Thanks for helping me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I am more then happy to help you. If you read the article again it should help you authenticate your bag however if you are still worried please send me photos to my email nkrysa828@hotmail.com and I will look more closely at this for you. x

      Delete
  10. Hi i just bought LV Speedy and the code is SR5264 is it a valid code i mean authentic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for the question. Please send me some pics on maybe emial: nkrysa828@hotmail.com and I can help you more then as sometimes even with right date code can be a replica x

      Delete
  11. My Speedy 35 doesn't have date code or inside pocket how do I know if its authentic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, it really depends on when you bought speedy 35 as some very old vintage ones might not have a date code, however if the bag isn’t vintage should have a date code always. If you want send me pics of the bag on my email: nkrysa828@hotmail.com x

      Delete
  12. hi sis i just bought pre loved speedy 25.and im n0t sure if its authentic.pls help me to verify if its legit or fake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heyyy, sure I can help with that just email me on my email which is listed in the reply above yours and I’ll be more then happy to help. You can even ask me any question you might have :) x

      Delete
  13. Hi sis I just bought a preloved speedy 30 and it has a 30 stamped on the back side of the leather tab. The seller said the bag came from Japan. I compared the bag to the speedy 30 on LV site and everything is the same up to the stitching but the code is M41526. Can you please help me verify if its legit or fake? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey hey, Your date code should contain two letters then numbers 4 numbers and on this date code there are 5 numbers which should be as 4. Take a look at the date code section in the post again, this will definitely help you authenticate your bag. I don’t really want to disappoint you on this however I haven’t come across a date code on an authentic bag to be with only one letter before the 4 and 5 numbers. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions feel free to ask :) x

      Delete
  14. Hi, I bought a new speedy 35 at the Louis Vuitton in Indianapolis Indiana, can I be certain it authentic? The tab on the side only say Louis Vuitton Paris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, if the bag is from the actual shop ‘Louis Vuitton’ and you have a receipt bad everything else that comes with the bag, it’s got to be authentic as Louis Vuitton store would never sell a replica as this could jeopardise the business and maybe close it down and such a big brand wouldn’t want that to happen to them.

      Delete
  15. Hi nina can i send u email? I just bought speedy 30.im n0t sure if its authentic.pls help me to verify if its legit or fake. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes feel free to send me any pictures or questions you might have on nkrysa828@hotmail.com and I’ll be more then happy to help you! x

      Delete
  16. Hi, Are you familiar with The French Company Speedy bags?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I have heard about it but not used the sight myself or know of anyone who has used it themselves. Feel free to ask any questions you may have and I can see if I maybe of any help.

      Delete
  17. Hi nina can you please help me. My friend just gave me a LV bag. From your experience I don't think if my bag was original or not.No pocket inside the bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please email me the images on nkrysa828@hotmail.com and I can happily have a look for you :)

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. If You want me to take a look at this please email me over the images on nkrysa828@hotmail.com and I'd be more than happy yo take a look at this for you.

      Delete
  19. Hi nina. I have a bag from japan too. And the date code says SP41526. Its a speedy 30 monogram. I checked all the things you have mentioned and its pretty legit to me apart from the datecode. You mentioned about the bags being repair and being add up by a repairmen which i actually didnt get.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi I just got a speedy LV I'm trying to find out of it's real or fake can zi send you some photos of it?

    After loking it up theres alot that makes it seem real but a couple red flags

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just purchased a Speedy 40 with datecode MB0911. Most I have seen have the Louis Vuitton made in Paris on the leather tab, mine just says Louis Vuitton (with the R in the circle) on the tab and it says MADE IN FRANCE located on the leather trim of the interior pocket. The hardware is tarnished and has some of that green oxidation, and everything else seems correct. I just have never seen that on the pocket before. Do you think it is real? The seller guarantees it is real.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi,Was there ever a period of time when the Speedy was made with no interior pocket? Also was there a point when the date code was only country of manufacture and no date?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Also the Made in France stamp has France in all lower case. Was there ever a time when this was done?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I had a heart attack about mine having something on the inside, I realized it was missing because the bag has been repaired various times over the last 30 years but based on this it's 100% real!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi nina! Would you be able to take a look at a bag I got recently? I tried emailing the account you stated above but it seems that your inbox is full 😅

    ReplyDelete